Sunday 4 May 2008

The Grim Reality

William and I don't have Visas. Much as we tried to buck the system, we didn't do it. So, we put on a smiling face, and hit the US Embassy in London, armed with every piece of evidence were were going to return to the UK.
I went first

Mr C. What is your purpose in visiting the United States?

I'm sailing a friend's yacht back from the US
What's your sailing experience?
Now this gets me. I have no formal sailing qualifications whatsoever apart from some bizzare windsurfing certificate. I always said I wouldn't muck about and go straight for Yachtmaster. Not Yachtmaster Ocean, Self-doubt right now in the US Embassy? In buckets. Will the US let an idiot like me into their waters?
Errrm I've won Cowes Week, Round the Island race, as tactician/navigator , err I've....
What kind of boat is it?
A Swede 55, 52 foot long, rates 55m under the Scandinavian metre rule
What's the furthest you've sailed?
Probably Southampton to Kiel (I neglected to point out this was with work, on a 70m Corvette)
She looked at me and said
"You've clearly earned your sea legs, and you've earned your Visa
William had an even easier ride.
The day after we booked our flights
The trip was on.

No comments: